• February 23

• December 12

• October 9

Study tips for finals week

It is that wonderful time of the year!

Yasmin Carrillo, Staff Writer

With the 2nd quarter of 1st semester coming to an end, every student’s favorite time approaches faster than anyone can imagine, and NO it’s not Winter Break. It is FINALS! Before you freak out, just don’t. (Hopefully) not everything you were taught during the first and second quarter is on the final. Why worry about it when it is only worth twenty percent of you grade? How much could it possibly bring you down? Or bump you up? Your grade rests in your ability to: process the stress, manage your time, and actually study. Here are some tips to make your life just a little bit easier.
Prior to your final:
Create Study Guides One Week Before the Final- Most of the time teachers will hand you a study guide with the materials that you should cover. In order to make it easier on yourself from that same study guide create your own. If you are not given study guide create your own one that you understand and will help you. Or you can just create notecards from that same study guide.
Attend Tutoring Sessions- Yes, I know going to class is hard enough so why stay after school? One-on-one with your teacher gives you the opportunity to have all their attention channeled towards you and not thirty students. You can ask questions that you were probably too shy to ask in class and the good thing you can ask as many times as you want until you understand it.
Quiz Yourself- Want to test your ability to know whether or not you know the material? Just quiz yourself after the end of your study sessions and that way you will know the material you already know and the material you should go over again.
Create Study Groups- Studying alone with peace and quiet is the best atmosphere when reviewing material, however not always will you know the answer to something and your textbook explanation may confuse you even more. Studying with friends or fellow classmates expands the understanding of the material and if one doesn’t know the other may do. Two heads think better than one.

Day Before The Final
What NOT To Do
 If you did not study at all for your finals, cramming everything the night before does not help at all. Pulling an all-nighter affects your sleep and drains your energy. Then you’ll fail your final, so do not do it.
 Just like over cramming, do not over study. You will just drain your brain and be too tired to even be awake during the final. You need to rest the day before and be confident about your preparation for the final.
 Overdose on caffeine. Well not exactly overdose, but just do not drink caffeine. You will have all this energy and it will go to waste and once again you will have no energy for you final.
 Freak about it. You are already stressed with the entire studying why overthink everything about your life in that moment? Take a few deep breaths and relax.
 Do Not Spend the day on Social Media. I mean you already do but to not get distracted from other activities, lay off Facebook, SnapChat, Twitter, etc.
What To Do
 Do something that does not involve a book or pencil. Go out, ride your bike, go for a walk, watch TV, etc. Just don’t sit at a desk.

What To Do Day-Of Final

 Have a good breakfast. A breakfast with brain-boosting supplements and protein. Not an energy drink but eggs, cereal, toast, milk, oatmeal, etc.
 Stay calm and don’t overthink the test.
 Arrive on time- Set your alarm the day before and wake up on the first wake-up-call or you will regret it
 Do Not Worry if Someone Finishes Earlier Than You- Believe me, you may be concentrating and all but the corner of your eye is watching to see how far others are. You don’t want to be the last one to finish, but in reality it is. You know that you took your time and thought out the questions. It’s not a race
 Once you are done with one final, forget about it, relax, YOU ARE DONE—well at least with that one. Now you can focus the ones you have left.

These are just a few essential things that will prepare you for your finals week.
Now, my fellow schoolmates, Happy Finals Week and may the curve be ever in your favor!